Exhibit at NY NOW – Trade Show Mission
To further develop export markets for Atlantic Canadian craft producers, Craft Alliance will lead a trade mission project to New York to attend the NY NOW Trade Show in August 2018. This will be a pan-Atlantic mission where Craft Alliance will lead the coordination and development of the project. The project will involve export-ready craft producers from Atlantic Canada looking to expand their sales to the United States. NY NOW is a wholesale trade show produced by Emerald Expositions and held twice a year in New York.
Craft Alliance will lead a small group of 6-8 Atlantic based-craft producers to exhibit at the NY NOW trade show in New York, NY, from August 12-15, 2018. We are recruiting export ready, production-oriented craft producers from the region to participate on the mission. Participation costs will vary from $500 to $1500 per exhibitor, dependent on previous participation in this project (see details below).
This project is funded through the ACOA – Business Development Program (BDP) and as such, participants are required to: cover 25% of Eligible costs relating to booth space rental and on-site ancillary rentals, as outlined in this project. Participants must complete a detailed Business Profile application and two follow-up surveys after the trade show is complete.
NY NOW Trade Show
NY Now (formerly “The New York International Gift Fair”) is run by Emerald Expositions is held twice yearly at the Jacob Javit’s Center in Manhattan. There are 10 targeted divisions in the NY NOW show with a total of approximately 2800 exhibitors in 400 categories. Buyers who used to attend several shows across North America now tend to focus on this show, and there is a lot of cross-buying – buyers who go to “Accent on Design” or “Personal Accessories” division will also usually visit the “Handmade” division and vice versa.
Participants will be located within the show section of their choice. The “Handmade Designer Maker” section and also the Accent on Design section of the show are both juried sections and subject to jury approval. Participants may choose another section of the show based on if their product category dictates another section of the show would be more appropriate. There are 35,000 buyers from 50 American states and over 80 countries – 98% of buyers place orders based on what they see at the show. Show statistics state that 78% of the buyers write orders on the show floor, and 38% are new buyers.
Under this project, Craft Alliance will be recruiting up to 6-8 Atlantic companies to participate in the trade show. Each individual participant company will receive assistance for a percentage of booth costs and related expenses under the project. Participants would be responsible for their own travel and shipments of product samples to the NY NOW show. Craft Alliance will provide cohesive and coordinated social media and promotional opportunities and assistance with show logistics pre-show.
To be eligible, you must:
– Be an export-ready craft producer from Atlantic Canada
– Product must be handmade and business located in Atlantic Canada
– Submit an online application to Craft Alliance
– Complete the application requirements and jury process, as set out by the NY NOW Trade Show.
– Be approved by Craft Alliance for participation (limited space available)
– Agree to participate in all follow-up surveys on project results, which are submitted to ACOA after the project
– Hold a valid passport required for entrance to the United States
The participant support includes:
– Booth Fee: Contribution Toward Booth Costs (75% of actual cost to a max. value $5,200. CAD*)
The NY NOW project will cover 75% of booth space costs to a maximum of $5,200. CAD in the NY NOW trade show. If a participant decides to purchase a larger space in the show, the cost over and above the limit indicated, would be covered by the participant.
– Assistance with On-site Ancillary Costs (75% of actual cost to a max. value $1,800. CAD*)
We are encouraging participants to utilize the show contractor services at the NY NOW show for display and visual presentation at the trade show. This amount can be used toward costs of; tables, chairs, electrical, display rentals. This program will allow participants to rent materials for that purpose. This amount does not cover shipping of product samples or other materials to the show. Participants are free to ship product samples, booth displays or other materials at their own expense. There may be financial assistance programs within your province that may cover some of the costs related to shipping or travel.
Values are maximum budgeted amounts and are not redeemable or transferable.
Final eligible amounts will be determined based on current currency exchange amounts at the time invoices are paid.
NOTE: This package is a total value of approx. $7,000. CAD
Key Dates: (subject to change)
- Immediate Application to NY NOW
- Individual consultation with Craft Alliance on application or related issues
- Preparation of booth ancillary services: electrical, etc.
- Prepare content for show guide listings
- Participants prepare materials to be shipped or transported
- August 9 – travel to New York (depending on set-up days)
- August 10-11 – show set-up
- August 12-15 – trade show (4 days)
- August 16 – return to Canada
Space is limited. Applications will be reviewed by Craft Alliance on a merit basis and suitability for this particular trade show; applicants will be notified of acceptance. We encourage anyone interested in participating to submit your application form to Craft Alliance immediately.
What is NOT covered?
Participants must contribute a participation fee, based on previous attendance.
New Participants (within 3 years) $500.
Returning participants (over 3 years, to 5 years) $1,000.
Established companies (over 5 years) $1,500.
– 25% of Eligible costs, as outlined in the costs noted above
– Any additional show costs relating to booth space or on-site rentals that is over and above our budgeted amount for Eligible costs
– Costs related to the shipping of product samples or display booths and materials
– Participant travel costs are not covered for this mission. You may consider seeking alternative sources of funding within your own province for travel assistance.
All participants will be required to complete two surveys following the trade show. These surveys will require participants to indicate the following (but not limited to): number of sales generated (quantity and dollar value) at the NY NOW trade show, numbers of leads generated and contacts made pre-show, during the trade show and post-show. Surveys will also collect statistical data on the overall success of the project.
Bernard Burton, Executive Director
Craft Alliance ~ Alliance métiers d’arts